Monday, April 27, 2009

I don't understand daddy


My son and I enjoy a lot of good times together, and a few difficult ones here and there. I believe there are a few common things that are difficult for most parents to deal with. Here are just a few that I know I personally see prevalent with todays kids and parents. 1: Your child is in pain and isn't able to communicate the problem to you is the worst for me. I can't stand my son being in pain and not being able to do anything because I do not know what is wrong. 2: Next up is the 'toddler mood swings' as I like to call it. My son at times just starts to "bug out " and act totally out of character, and I don't know what the hell is going on.
But the one that I've been struggling with the most, is when my son wants to do what I ask him, but he doesn't understand HOW to do what I am asking. My son is probably has an above average (not me talking, but people who know kids) intelligence for just turning 3 a couple of months ago. I sometimes forget that he's just 3 and put a lot of pressure on him. I would ask him something I felt was pretty simple, clear, and plain, and he just couldn't get what I was asking. I would ask him to blow his nose, and just couldn't get it, but he'd turn around and spell tortoise, or recite damn near an entire movie after watching it once. "Blow out AHJAN!" was a common phrase heard daily around my apartment. Instead of blowing, he'd inhale through his mouth and then again with his nose, instead of blowing out with his nose. He'd be so hurt because he could see that was not what I was asking. "I'm trying dad" is what he'd say. I think about it now and it brings me to tears that I could be so upset with him because he didn't understand the difference between out and in. "I'm trying dad" or "I want to make you happy dad" is what he'd say. My son gets very congested and I tried damn near everything under the moon to help him. Nebulizer, steamy shower bathroom, meds, vicks, humidifier, the green bulb syringe you get from the hospital when the baby is born, but nothing worked.
I'm a sports coach so I understand that there is always a different way to get across your message. But for some odd reason I was neglecting to use that knowledge with my son. Finally, I said to myself that my son is very intelligent and he doesn't get it, so it must be me. I thought to myself, how can I get my lil guy to understand what "blow it out" means. So I asked him to breath normally. I caught the rhythm of his breathing, and started saying, "out, in, out, in, out, in" again and again and again. Finally he was picking up what out and in was. We then went back to trying to get him to blow his nose. But at first he would breath in and out a bunch of times, and I had to correct that little bit of confusion. FINALLY my son got it. He now is probably the blow king. Excuse me for this next bit of information...... He blew his nose one morning and the most grossest booger flew out his nose, through the tissue and across the bathroom into the bathtub! I jumped out of the way (mind you he had already shot my in the forehead with a booger the day before), and let out a very girlie like yelp of disgust! LOL..... but I was so very happy that my son now understood what I had been asking him. After we laughed about that booger in my bathtub, my son looked at me and said, "That makes you happy dad" and smiled! I melted. That left eye of mine, teared up like it does when my son does something so genuine. I wiped the tear away and gave him a big hug and apologized to him for all the times I got upset with him for not understanding daddy. Parents, be patient with your kids. I know it's hard sometimes, believe me I do. But if yours is anything like mines, he/she only wants to make you happy.

1 comment:

  1. i totally understand! how something so simple as blowing your nose is so complicated to their little minds. i am dealing with a similar problem with my 4yr old. he is just like me, wears his heart on his sleeve. but he continues to get bullied at school trying to be everyones friend. he is enrolled in karate but even trainging to become a martial artist his comprehension level will not allow him to understand the difference between retaliation and defense. so everday he tells me a new story about "what someone did to him". it breaks my heart because as a parent sometimes you have to let them work out their own problems. i have seen him defend himself in class, but of course the setting was different. so i see your frustration...but soon as they say the light will come on. just be patient. and you are right...all they want is to make us happy and for us to be proud.

    ReplyDelete